No Image Available

Seb Anthony

Read more from Seb Anthony

googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display(‘div-gpt-ad-1705321608055-0’); });

Accreditation for trainers


We are a charity who provides training to other voluntary and public sector organisations around the issues of helpline skills.

We have about six in-house trainers who deliver a variety of one day courses across the UK and Ireland as part of their role, probably actually delivering about 10 - 30 days each per year.

We would like to find a suitable accredited qualification for them but are struggling to find something at the right level. The CIPD Certificate in Training Practice is probably a bit too much, but the City & Guilds 7407 is a bit too basic.

If you are a voluntary or public sector training provider, what do you get your staff to do?

Andrea Butcher
Andrea Butcher

8 Responses

  1. Trainer accreditation

    For your Irish training operations, are you familiar with the Irish Institute of Training and Development accredited Trainer Skills Certificate?

    If not, this a 3.5 day programme linked with international and national occupational standards. Competence is certified by third party assessment of the candidate’s performance in designing and delivering a learning activity.

    I’ve developed a number of delivery models for this qualification which support progression to other trainer qualifications (e.g. VRQs and NVQs).

    In partnership with ILM Centres, we also offer an ILM-endorsed train-the-trainer programme which may meet your needs.

    If you are interested in learning more about these programmes, please feel free to contact me for a no obligation discussion.


    Scott G. Welch
    CAVU Performance

  2. MOS Certification

    I work for a Leading Training Consultancy and Learning Systems Integrator and we specialise in Bespoke training requirements for the Public and Private sector.

    We are a fully accredited training and testing centre for ECDL and Microsoft Office Specialist Certifications and all our fully employed trainers who deal with the Public Sector are all MOS & ECDL Certified.

    For more information and advice please contact me on [email protected] or alternative call me on 020 7837 2690.

    I look forward to hearing from you.


    Imran Patel
    Education Consultant.

  3. Accreditation for trainers
    We in the voluntry sector have found the best way to go is to go through you local college and gain an NVQ C23 Training in groups Qualification, which allows you to attain your qualification whilst actually doing exactly as normal.
    that is to say that the only extra you have to do is to provide a portfolio

  4. Learning & development Quals
    Dependant on the type of training/learning being offered, you could use one of the NVQs or certificate awards offered in the new Learning & Development awards. These standards have been developed by the ENTO, especially for people delivering Work-based training. There are levels and certificates for all roles (NVQs L3-5) and certificates made up of clusters of units. I could supply you with more info if interested

  5. Accreditation through ILM
    I developed a Training Leadership Certificate for the Prison Service which was accredited through the Institute of Leadership and Management. it worked well for those involved in programme managment and design as well as for tutoring and facillitation methods. It was seen as a higher level than the 7407 but not as detailed as the Cert in TP. Tailored for the Prison Service the same course can be tailored for other types of organisation. I can run this course as a ‘train the trainer’ type of course too.

  6. Qualifications for Trainers
    You could select appropriate units from an NQ or HN course which your local college would probably be able to organise for you. That way your trainers can choose to build up to a full qualification should they choose to but if not they are still gaining a nationally recognised unit

  7. S/NVQs may be feasible in the voluntary sector
    Andrea, S/NVQs may be feasible in the voluntary sector, given a sufficiently high motivation, good time management, and a reasonable resource level. I work with the CAB (Citizens Advice Bureau) service in Scotland, and some bureaux do benefit from S/NVQs. The Learning and Development suite is very versatile and a combination of units can be selected to suit people in a variety of roles (trainer, mentor, coach, training manager, etc.) The award is based, as another contributer mentioned, primarily on the everyday work of the trainer (training plans, materials, development notes, feedback from participants, e-mails and memos, etc.). There are also a series of much smaller certificated PDAs (Professional Development Awards) based on a small number of units and relating to particular aspects of the job. PDAs are particularly suitable for the voluntary sector, where people are particularly pressed for time (especially part-time volunteers). One of the strengths of this suite is the emphasis on self-reflection and on the application of ethical and legal guidelines, and on CPD. This makes S/NVQs a useful development tool (for both the individual and the organisation) as well as a confirmation of the trainer’s skills.


Get the latest from TrainingZone.

Elevate your L&D expertise by subscribing to TrainingZone’s newsletter! Get curated insights, premium reports, and event updates from industry leaders.


Thank you!