No Image Available


Read more from TrainingZone

googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display(‘div-gpt-ad-1705321608055-0’); });

IT Trainer Qualification


I have been the IT trainer in a smallish company for the last 6 months, training end-users on in-house and MS Office applications.

I am now looking for an IT training qualification that is widely recognized and good value for money, so that I can continue my professional development, and would welcome any impartial advice.
Andrew Hotston

6 Responses

  1. Not specifically IT, but might be useful

    I can’t recommend a specific IT Trainers qualification, but I found the City & Guilds 7307 (Further and Adult Education Teachers Certificate) a very thorough and effective “train the trainers” qualification that is equally applicable in workplace training contexts as it is in college contexts. It is also very well regarded, and may well add some strings to your bow as a by-product.

    Hope this helps.

  2. IT Trainer’s qualification
    I agree – the C & G 7307 is an excellent general teaching qualification. If you still want a qualification aimed specifically at IT trainers, there are several around, notably the JEB (Joint Examining Board) Teacher’s Diploma in IT (there’s also an Advanced version) and a similar qualification offered by OCR (used to be RSA). You should find either of these on offer at one of your local colleges of further education – usually on a one-year evening course basis. You could visit the OCR website at for details of centres where their qualifications are offered, or telephone them on 024 76 470033. These IT teacher qualifications also cover the general principles of teaching as well. Really, it all depends on what you want to do with the qualification, once you’ve got it. For example, if you wanted to go and teach in a college of further education, you might find that the C & G 7307 (full title Further and Adult Education Teacher’s Certificate, by the way!) would be of more use, but any of them would give you what you need.

    Hope this helps and good luck!

  3. IT Training & MOUS
    Would suggest that you contact the Institute of IT Training (, courses available for Training qualifications and membership to the Institute, also if you are training Microsoft Applications – sit the Microsoft Office User Specialist Exams (MOUS) to Advanced level

  4. Trainer Qualifications
    If you’re looking specifically at Microsoft/Windows a couple of things you should look into should be MCT (Microsoft Certified Trainer) and CTT (Certified Technical Trainer).


  5. More thoughts
    I’m pleased that the other people who’ve commented have covered the main suggestions I would have made. As an IT Trainer and now training manager I’ve spent 8+ years in this area and have looked at various qualifications for both myself and staff who’ve worked for me.
    My only comments would be that the Microsoft accreditations are expensive if self funded and you may need to look for a career move/salary rise to recoup the cost (or leverage your employer!). You’ll find holding MCT for example will raise your desirability with recruitment consultants and agencies. The flipside is you may need to maintain your accreditation via further Microsoft exams for new software releases, hence perhaps a longer term cost. Generally, the commercial value of these qualifications means they are most advantageous in large IT training suppliers with a customer base of large companies.
    The IITT route (I have been a member for some years)has increasing credibility and is a sound grounding in IT training without being vendor specific. From the information you’ve supplied, I’d be inclined to think this may be your best option – full details are on the web site in another comment you’ve received.
    Good Luck.

  6. IITT

    I run a small training company and have been through what you are going through (including C&G 7307 and others). You will find that C&G 7307 is highly credible, as an earlier note says, if you are in education. It is far less so in a commercial environment. You will also find that MCT is only available for technical Microsoft training – you do not mention that at the moment. I think that your best option is the IITT TAP profile, together with MOUS exams to become a MOUS Authorised Instructor (AI).

    The IITT TAP Profile is not only being recognised as the industry standard in the UK nowadays, but their recent tie up with Microsoft allows achievement of this profile to provide the trainer qualification for the Microsoft AI qualification. As one of the Institute’s few freelance TAP Assessors, I would be happy to discuss the profile and your achievement of it if you would like to call or email. You do not necessarily need to attend an IITT course, depending on your experience and skill level.

    Jooli Atkins
    01759 304321
    [email protected]


Get the latest from TrainingZone.

Elevate your L&D expertise by subscribing to TrainingZone’s newsletter! Get curated insights, premium reports, and event updates from industry leaders.


Thank you!