No Image Available

Seb Anthony

Read more from Seb Anthony

googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display(‘div-gpt-ad-1705321608055-0’); });

necessity of VAT id in EU


Can you tell me for what kind of activity VAT id is necessary in EU? Can I have some business activity without getting of VAT id?
Alexey Kotko

4 Responses

  1. Customs and Exercise
    I suggest that you contact Customs and Exercise – whenever I have had questions about VAT I found them very helpful.

  2. No VAT
    Basically, either client or trainer has to be VAT registered in the EU country where the training is DELIVERED.
    I am not based in EU, but employ trainers to deliver training in EU countries. Sometimes UK trainers try to charge me VAT. We can’t pay it. Because training is an EU VAT regulated activity where VAT is chargeable in the country where the training is DELIVERED, the trainer has to be registered for VAT in THAT country. They cannot add UK VAT for a service delivered in, say Netherlands, if they are not registered for VAT in Netherlands. If the trainer is not registered, the CLIENT is responsible, IF the client is VAT registered in the country where the training is delivered.
    If the Trainer is not VAT registered where the training is delivered, and the CLIENT is not VAT registered where the training is delivered, no VAT can be charged, as it is not possible to pay it.


Get the latest from TrainingZone.

Elevate your L&D expertise by subscribing to TrainingZone’s newsletter! Get curated insights, premium reports, and event updates from industry leaders.


Thank you!