Author Profile Picture

Adrian Pitt

Develop-meant Training Consultants


Read more from Adrian Pitt

googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display(‘div-gpt-ad-1705321608055-0’); });

New Trainer here! Insurance question…


Hi all,

Public Liability and Public Indemnity Insurance - do I need either, neither, both? I'm a trainer who will be visiting clients' premises most of the time.

Many thanks,


8 Responses

  1. Insurance

    In short….Yes. Better to be safe than sorry!… Also alot of your clients will expect certain level of insurance before contracting with you.

    You may also want to consider Employers Liability and Professional Indemnity Insurance of anyone working with you / for you- but it all depends on exactly what work you’re doing and how you’re set up.

    If unsure (and in order to get best price) speak to an IFA.

    All of our team and freelancers we use are insured – as a requirement of working with us.







  2. Thanks Lee

    Cheers Lee,

    Are the freelancers generally insured for both Liability AND Indemnity, or one or the other? Is there a "product" that covers both do you know?


  3. insurance

    If you can afford to lose your house, car and (what is left of) your bank balance in the event something goes wrong no…. otherwise yes

    some firms offer a joint insurance, talk to a broker. If you are a member of a professional body they have often got ‘deals’ with very good discounts. – almost anywhere except you bank in my experience


  4. Thanks Mike

    Cheers for that, your response really puts things into perspective! I’ll do some online research based on your info. Thanks for the advice.

    Best wishes,


  5. Try the CIPD

    If you are a member (even an affiliate member) of the CIPD you can buy your public liability/professional indemnity insurance through them. It is very reasonably priced.

    Jenny James


  6. Good idea Jenny

    Thanks Jenny,

    I’m looking into memberships at the moment. CIPD, trainerbase, I know they offer deals.

    Cheers for the advice. Have a lovely weekend.


  7. Yes

    Yes ideally you do.

    I got mine as a combined deal with Hiscox.

    Also, bear in mind, if you are taking electronic equipment onsite as well, you need to look at PAT testing.  I know people that have been caught out on their insurance because they did not notice the clause on their policy.

    The first question I was asked by a client was, have you got public liability cover.


  8. Thanks Glenn

    Good advice again, I knew I could trust you guys on here. I looked on Hiscox tonight and got a quote. So, that’s decided, I’ll sort out the Liability and Indemnity cover without a doubt.

    Anyone who can recommend any good joint deals? Greatly appreciated.

    Many thanks,


Author Profile Picture

Get the latest from TrainingZone.

Elevate your L&D expertise by subscribing to TrainingZone’s newsletter! Get curated insights, premium reports, and event updates from industry leaders.


Thank you!