No Image Available

Seb Anthony

Read more from Seb Anthony

googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display(‘div-gpt-ad-1705321608055-0’); });

setting up freelance


Myself and a friend have been doing very occasional training for 5 years on Working with People who Self Harm, mostly to voluntary sector organisations. The last two day sessions we did we charged £300 for. The evaluation has been so positive that a major training provider in our county wishes to add us to their rolling programme. Do we need to register as a business or charity? What do we do about paying tax?

FYI I have the CTP and professional training & development experience, although my current job doesn't have a huge training focus.
Louisa Hare

5 Responses

  1. other sites
    As well as all of the legality its a good idea to get yourself on as many sites that feature trainers and share ideas, tips and contacts. One that also has tenders advertised is interesting, topical and useful.

  2. Insurance
    Don’t forget professional indemnity insurance if you don’t have it. As a CIPD member it will cost about £100 pa.

  3. thanks and yikes
    Heartfelt thanks to everyone for really helpful and practical advice. Howard, yikes, why do I need prof. indemnity?! I really hadn’t thought of that but now you mention it, We do do a bit of ‘Safer Self Harm – managing risk’…


Get the latest from TrainingZone.

Elevate your L&D expertise by subscribing to TrainingZone’s newsletter! Get curated insights, premium reports, and event updates from industry leaders.


Thank you!