No Image Available

Seb Anthony

Read more from Seb Anthony

googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display(‘div-gpt-ad-1705321608055-0’); });

Teaching Driving for Reward


A friend of a friend has been asked to provide H licence (tracked vehicles) driver training to employees at a factory site. He is a full time employee of the same company and has excellent auditable experience and can be considered a subject matter expert.

We have checked the DSA (Driver Standards Agency) website and have found a statement that saus instruction "for reward" requires an individual to have "Approved Driving Instructor status. The whole section is clearly directed at the instruction of new drivers in cars.

We are trying to clarify whther this rule qwould apply to him as an employee, providing instruction otr other employees prior to testing via the normal DSA testing process.

Can anyone shed some light, with specific references if possible?


Frank McGoldrick

One Response

  1. DSA driving instructor
    I’m not sure I am qualified to give you a definitive answer but I suspect that you do need to be an approved instructor to provide H licence training. Though this ‘for reward’ statement is far from clear.
    I’d suggest you contact the approved instructor branch on 0300 200 1122 to get clarification.


Get the latest from TrainingZone.

Elevate your L&D expertise by subscribing to TrainingZone’s newsletter! Get curated insights, premium reports, and event updates from industry leaders.

Thank you!