No Image Available

googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display(‘div-gpt-ad-1705321608055-0’); });

Trainer accreditation


I have been developing and delivering environmental and safety training for 10 years. Although I have a BSc and MSc and further relevant qualification I don't a specific training qualification. Can anyone advise on quickest way to get a recognised trainer qualification.

4 Responses

  1. Trainer accreditation
    Your local college can help you. Perhaps you might want to consider if the City and Guilds 7303 qualification is what you require. You may wish to, having achieved that qualification, want to go on for your Certificate of Education. Your college will advise you, I am sure. The 7303 takes about 10 weeks, each session lasting about 3 hours. Hope this helps.
    Paul Abbott

  2. Teaching or Training

    The C&G 7303, 7304, 7305 are not strictly training qualification (IMHO) though they are being pushed as a requirement if you wish to work on any government funded training programme. They are a route to ATLS (Associate TEACHER Learning and Skills or QTLS (Qualified TEACHER Learning and Skills) and membership of the IfL.

    There are quite a number of distinct ‘training’ qualifications in the market place. Many of the institutes and associations within the training industry run qualification and a look on their web sites will provide a potential list.

    As to a resulting recognition (you have a label), that will be down to the presence in the market place of the relevant qualification. As to whether these qualifications prove competence; that is another matter.


  3. The TrainingZone qualification database may help
    It’s getting rather large now – we’re looking into presenting it differently – but there’s an awful lot of information here!

    I hope this helps

    Kind regards

    Susie Finch
    Editor, features

  4. City and Guilds courses

    A late reply but just to add to the comments below.

    I did the City and Guilds 7303 (known as ‘Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector’ ) in 2007, and found it very useful in consolidating knowledge and skills at a basic level. I am now doing the City and Guilds 7305, which is the Diploma in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector. The 7305 is equal to an adult Cert Ed, but has a different name depending on which institution accredits it.

    The courses are absolutely relevant to a trainer in industry, and we have people on our course from a wide variety of backgrounds (including the ambulance service, the army, security, business process improvement, and childcare management). All are experienced trainers and the knowledge they bring is really valuable. If you do the course at a college you may find that most of the other people work at the college, and you don’t get exposed to that breadth of experience. I am doing the course through Joan Patterson Associates, who deliver the 7303 in a 3-day and 2-day package and the 7305 through monthly full-day workshops over the course of sixteen months.

    The 7305 is very practical – you have to do 150 hours of face-to-face training, and put together plans and reflective evaluation for every session. I don’t know for sure but I suspect this is more than in most specific ‘training’ qualifications such as those offered by the CIPD.

    A key advantage over most other courses is that because it counts as initial teacher training, you are entitled to a mandatory government grant and should – with a bit of luck – get your course fees paid.

    Hope this helps


No Image Available

Get the latest from TrainingZone.

Elevate your L&D expertise by subscribing to TrainingZone’s newsletter! Get curated insights, premium reports, and event updates from industry leaders.


Thank you!