No Image Available

Seb Anthony

Read more from Seb Anthony

googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display(‘div-gpt-ad-1705321608055-0’); });

Trainer Development


I am just completing my CTP with the CIPD. I am keen to continue with a degree or diploma in Training. However, the next stage within CIPD (PDS) is more HR related than Training. Does anyone have any suggestions for me of places that i can contact for advice. I have spoken to the CIPD and they have nothing other than the PDS.

5 Responses

  1. Further Qualifications
    There are a number of Diplomas and other National Vocational Qualifications (NVQ’s in England or SVQ’s in Scotland) related to training. More details are available on the ITOL website – Institute of Training and Occupational Learning at

    They maintain a list of all current training qualifications and where they are available from certificates through degree level and onwards.

  2. Malpas Diplome in Training & Development
    I did a Diploma in Training & Development through Malpas. It is basically the 4 L&D electives from the CIPD. Try their website for information

  3. It worked for me…
    Hi Tracey,

    I am trainer and I have just done the whole CIPD thing having never woked in HR and never planning to. I have however found it incredibly useful for my dealing with HR departments. It has also given me a far better 3D view on how training fits in to HR and how they see us. In the 2nd year I got to specialise in training so it certainly wasn’t a waste of time (or money for that matter). I apppreciate that if you are going to freelance then you do need a more purist qualification, but if you plan on working within organisisations may I suggest you take a good look at the CIPD. I certainly struggled through the HR parts, but got there in the end!
    Good luck,

  4. Why not expand your horizons with blended learning
    Have you considered going beyond CTP to expand your skills in e-learning and blended learning? Both The Training Foundation and the CIPD run certificates in blended learning.

  5. Post CTP
    Hi Tracey,

    I would strongly the Advanced Diploma in Training and Learning run by the National School of Government. It is moderated by Homerton Collage, Cambridge and has a very good pedigree. For more info, contact Graham O’Connoll who regularly comments in these sections (and will probably reply to this one soon!).

    Alternatively, you might like to consider something like the NLP trainer qualification, or a coaching/mentoring qualification.

    Good luck!


Get the latest from TrainingZone.

Elevate your L&D expertise by subscribing to TrainingZone’s newsletter! Get curated insights, premium reports, and event updates from industry leaders.


Thank you!