No Image Available

claire duncan


training consultant

Read more from claire duncan

googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display(‘div-gpt-ad-1705321608055-0’); });

What is my liability as a training provider if I am using associates.


I am a training provider and in order to offer more courses I am thinking of using an associate.What issues do I need to consider if doing this and what liability will I be exposing myself to.I am a sole trader not a Ltd so does this make a difference?

Many thanks

Claire Duncan

2 Responses

  1. Using Associates

    Hi Claire,

    Ensure that your associate has liability insurance, and get a copy of the certificate. Also provide a consultant agreement. If your operating in the UK sole trader status is recognised, however if you are working in The Middle East beware the status of sole trader is not recognised so always make sure that any contract you use has the sentence "UK Legal Jurisdiction Applies". There are some helpful articles on the Learning Practitioners Association site that I have found very helpful:

  2. liabilities

    It all depends on the nature of the training…

    If you are training forklift driver training and during the training a person dies – there could be a corp manslaughter charge against you and the associate…

    If its basic soft skills – then liability is often limited to the cost of the course – unless you are using psychometric test/ quasi psychometric tests and someone is "mentally distressed" by the feedback they receive then we could be looking at 1000s

    As a sole trader your liability is unlimited (loss of house.. car etc) – check that your liability insurance covers for hiring of associates

No Image Available
claire duncan

training consultant

Read more from claire duncan

Get the latest from TrainingZone.

Elevate your L&D expertise by subscribing to TrainingZone’s newsletter! Get curated insights, premium reports, and event updates from industry leaders.


Thank you!