Author Profile Picture

Adrian Pitt

Develop-meant Training Consultants


Read more from Adrian Pitt

googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display(‘div-gpt-ad-1705321608055-0’); });

Working from home – Insurance questions


Hi all,

Week three of Self Employment and so far so good! I'm just working through a checklist I received from a recent Business Link course and the topic of Insurance has come up. As someone who is going to be delivering a training and consultancy service out at clients' premises, the only work I'll be doing from home is research, course design, tenders, preparation etc. Is there a need for a trainer to have Public Liability and Public Indemnity?

The other question is around home and contents insurance. My buildings insurance is covered by my monthly service charge as I live in an apartment. However, as for home and contents, I wondered if this needed to be changed to cover recent equipment I've bought? My laptop I've always used for personal use and will take it out on the road with me. I've recently purchased a portable projector and a copier, scanner, fax, printer combo. I didn't want to alert my insurance company in case they "stung" me for no reason, but obviously want to do the right thing from the outset.

Thanks again for your help. I'm champing at the bit and couldn't wait for Business Link Day 2 and 3 so thought I'd come to you guys and get a head start!

Best wishes,


2 Responses

  1. Self Employment Insurance

    Hi Adrian

    I don’t think I can give you a definitive answer. I may be able to point you in a couple of directions though.

    With regards to Prof Indemnity and Public Liability, my experience is that it is expected that if you are going to provide training that you will have this insurance. Some venues I have trained at will only accept you as a trainer if you provide proof of having this cover as do many public tenders if they are of interest to you. The good news is that if you are a member of CIPD or ITOL they have discounted rates on this insurance. Alternatively talk to Towergate Professionals or your local insurance broker for a quote and to talk through whether you need this for what you will be doing.


    Towergate/your broker/similar companies can also quote on providing and upgrading your household insurance to include cover for business items as well. I did get a quote from my insurance broker purely for cover for insuring laptops and my all in one printer, however the excess meant that there would be little to claim for! Sometimes the exclusions and terms of the insurance influence your choice as to whether to buy cover as well. It is therefore worthwhile getting quotes and then weighing up whether to just set aside some of your earnings to replace your equipment in the event of anything happening and being self insured or getting cover. You can always contact a broker or another insurance company for advice and a quote for household insurance that includes business items cover or seperate cover without any obligations.


    I hope this helps.


  2. Thanks Rosanne

    Cheers for the really useful info. Since posting the question, I HAVE gone with Towergate. They seemed to offer the best deal in terms of a joint Public Liability and Indemnity package.

    Enjoy the rest of your week.


Author Profile Picture

Get the latest from TrainingZone.

Elevate your L&D expertise by subscribing to TrainingZone’s newsletter! Get curated insights, premium reports, and event updates from industry leaders.


Thank you!